Thursday, June 16, 2011

Stability

They say stability is a major predictor in to the longevity and success of a relationship. This assumes that people with a less-than-stable temperament are then destined to a life of unsatisfying relationships (by nature). I'm not sure whether that particular assumption is accurate, but I hope for the fate of humanity, it isn't.

I've thought a lot recently about the role that stability plays in our everyday lives. Certainly this concept has been demonstrated time and time again in our society by way of tumultuous relationships. For whatever reason, I was convinced that perhaps one partner could be stable enough for both. My contradiction to this idea was proven false soon afterward. There can only be one crazy in a the relationship and the stable one must choose whether the unavoidable drama is worth it.

Presently, I am in a long-distance relationship with an amazing, stable man and we've maintained this state relatively unscathed since the beginning of the year. In fact, it seems like we've been maintaining a long-distance relationship of some kind for the past six years- nothing really ever seems to change between us, except for our level of maturity. Thousands of miles and an ocean between us, there have absolutely been moments of insecurity and "am I really doing this". With two months to go before we "rest" (and three before we are not only in the same country, but the same state, city, house, and bed), I feel fairly confident that our patience will be rewarded and the stability theory will be tested and proven (fingers crossed).

I've never had so little to overanalyze in a relationship... Weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment