Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Vibration Yoga

I am sure we've all experienced the magic of Groupon or Livingsocial.

I'm a sucker for new, interesting activities and sometimes late on the research side of it. The Woodlands is not known for their Yoga culture. Having lived in Denver or Salt Lake until now, this was a serious let down. You can imagine my excitement; however, upon receiving a Groupon deal for for 5/10 or 20 classes with a Dahn Yoga studio 15 minutes away.


There are three classes: Intestine, Dahn Yoga, and Vibration. I kind of expected that I'd be in for a weird first time by going to the "vibration" class but I was trying to live by the "don't put off 'til tomorrow philosophy".

I brought my mat and yoga clothes. Already, this was a mistake. No one in this class appeared to be a yogi of any sort but all seemed to enjoy the class well enough. The room was approximately as large as a small bedroom, walls covered with Sedona & Brain Vibration information, Korean sayings for yoga, and conveniently equipped with a "yoga floor".

We started in a circle with 300 seconds of tapping our "Dahn Jon"- just below the belly button. Followed by hitting all over the body. Then a dance all around the room. Those who know me may know that I have a hard time taking things seriously on occasion. While I am sure there must be some physiological benefits to this ancient form of yoga, I have never fought so hard to suppress my laughter.

The "beef" of the class consists of shaking up and down slighting through bending your knees to create vibration and focusing on different organs with your eyes closed. We top off the class with sharing our feelings a little cup of tea.

My final word on Body & Brain?

Well, I don't know if I am a believer but I have 9 more session left in my Groupon and woke up with strep or a virus of some sort the next day. I'm not saying they're connected, but it doesn't certainly make me like it more.

Maybe I'll give an update a few more sessions in.

No comments:

Post a Comment